Steve MacSween wrote:
> I recently witnessed it firsthand on an Australian performance cars list I
> also happen to belong to. If you heard the disinformation campaign claims
> about ethanol now being taken at face value in the Aus media, you'd fall off
> your collective chair. I thought someone was having a joke, at first.

Like the time some campaign for bicycle helmet legislation got a hold of some
idiot at my local paper. They actually printed a claim that a kid without a foam
hat was "fourteen times more likely to be killed" as if it were a universally
accepted fact. The highest such figure in the research is from an early,
intentionally biased study which found a benefit of about 72% in injury
reduction,
and then went on to guess (with no data) that it might be as high as 85%
reduction
in death rates. Is 100% equal to fourteen times 15%?  And don't get me started
on PETA's lies, those folks are worse.