Used to be that many large employers, such as Hollywood and the high tech
industry, could pull strings to get Canadians contracted for extended
periods. Since nine-eleven this has been gradually shrivelling up. About two
years ago stories started appearing about Canadians who came home from U.S.
jobs for holidays, then were barred from reentry at the border on the
grounds that enough U.S. skilled labour exists to fill the jobs.

We're talking not even allowed to return to empty apartments and offices,
without legal intervention to secure a covenant to leave afterwards.

Tidbit: for decades, B-movies have traditionally been crewed by Canadians as
we are used to making do with nothing or with very low budgets, seeing as
our home grown film industry leaves much to be desired. Canucks were much in
demand due to our improvisational and cross-disciplinary capabilities
(A-movie sets are very strictly regimented trades wise).

Mac