On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Don M.,

Is this procedure recommended for gas engines or specifically for diesel? Someone correct me if I'm wrong - does the mechanical fuel injection pump on an OM 617 motor stop all delivery of fuel when 'compression braking'? If it doesn't, and some fuel is still being burned, then I expect that the oil leaking through bad valve stem seals would also be burned and there would be no puff of oil smoke when throttle is applied.

I don't know if it completely shuts off fuel flow, but going down hills will reduce it significantly... Going down some hills my engine has dropped below operating temperature... so I would imagine its pretty close.

Does fuel even have to be burned? The heat to ignite the diesel is always being generated... wouldn't it ignite the oil as well?

John
'79 300SD