You are confusing diesels with gas engines. The economy(vac) guage you are talking about is only on gas models. Diesels do not have a lamba system, that too would be gas engines.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Now here's where I need a physics lesson. If indeed your engine has zero vacuum, how does the cylinder fill with air and fuel? Let's use real numbers, a 617.95 engine has bor/stroke of 90.9/92.4 and fills through a relatively small intake runner. This doesn't create a vacuum when the piston goes down to draw air in? There is no vacuum there? Without a turbo how would you get enough velocity to fill the cylinder? If I remember right there was a guage in the lower part of the left most guage in the cluster of my 300SD that acted a lot like a vacuum guage. What is it measuring if not vacuum? Please set me straight on how the lambda system works if there is no vacuum in your engine. I thought that the drop in vacuum during acceleration on the upper chamber caused an imbalance and allowed the spring force to close the contacts which enriched the mixture. If there was no vacuum how does it work? Ken, in wondering mode. In a message dated 7/28/2005 12:46:13 PM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

    From: Fmiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Subject: Re: [MBZ] diagnosing bad valve stem seals/guide

    rumor has it that [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

     > Don M.,
     >
     > I question whether this method will work in a diesel:

    It won't.

     > "To check your
     > valve guides and/or seals find a  very long hill and drive/coast down
     > under compression, creating a large vacuum draw,

    _This_ is the problem with this test. A diesel doesn't create a large
    vacuum. One of my W123s does have a butterfly valve in the intake, so it
    creates a _small_ vacuum. All the rest will create a vacuum only when
    the air filter is _way_ overdue to be replaced. *grin*

                  Philip and his fleet of vacuum-free engines