You guys keep me honest, anyway... I just checked my records. I
ordered 103-050-00-58 back in Jan-2002, specified aftermarket parts
(trying to save a few bux). I assume they came from WorldPac (but I'm
not sure of the exact source - I just faxed Rusty a list of stuff I
wanted.) I received the 'bulky' seals with no metal body - but I have
no idea if those were 'original' 603 seals or not? They were, at the
time, $10/set.

Fast forward to March 2003 when I ordered a Genuine Mercedes seal kit
- same part number, 103-050-00-58, but $27/set (wholesale!). These
were the metal-bodied seals.

Interestingly, the EPC shows the 00-58 part number as ONLY used on the
OM60x engines, not on any gas engines, despite the 103- prefix. And,
the 01-58 part number shows as ONLY used on the M10x engines, not any
diesels! I almost think the original seals I received were a mistake
from the WorldPac (or wherever) warehouse.

Some photos from WorldPac's site:
Diesel engine valve seals, 103-050-00-58:
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/A806923971HEB.JPG

Gas engine valve seals, 103-050-01-58:
http://img.eautopartscatalog.com/live/A806914288HEB.JPG

:-)