Minor clarification. There are two tools... the lock tool, which is
$20-$30 or so, but some people claim to have had trouble purchasing it
in the USA. Here is a photo:
http://www.w124performance.com/images/tools/IP__lock_tool.jpg

The other tool is the proper tool that has two lights. This tool costs
$250 or so, but is what the factory service manual specifies for
setting pump timing. Here's a photo:
http://www.w124performance.com/images/tools/IP__RIV_tool.jpg

The lock tool is NOT intended to be used to set/adjust timing, but it
can be used to accomplish that - it just takes a little more work, and
more care - if you turn the engine with the lock engaged you can
bend/break the tab inside the IP and not be able to set timing
correctly at all (read: buy a used IP from a salvage yard.)

First step is to check the camshaft timing relative to the crankshaft
since you rolled in a new chain, if that's at zero like it should be,
second step is to set pump timing. I'm told some people can come
pretty close with NO tools by using a mirror to look for the little
tab  through the hole in the IP but I've never attempted this.

:-)

HTH,

Dave M.
Boise, ID