Jaime Kopchinski (BNA) wrote:
Hi All,
Can you someone lend some advice about setting injection pump timing on a '84 190D 2.2? I don't have a W201 CD or manual...

Can this be done statically... set engine to TDC, pull pump and rotate to a timing mark and reinstall? Or are there special tools needed? I have no way to check timing as it is now.

Did a head gasket on the car and rolled in a new chain and I suspect the injection timing may now be off. Engine runs, but has little power and sounds kinda funny.

I always liked the bubble method that the late Bob Sanigar preferred:

>> On the subject of diesel timing . If you are replacing the pump or
>> rebuilding the engine. The simplest and most accurate way of setting the
>> pump is. Disconnect the fuel line going into the pump from the filter.
>> Take the spring and plunger out of #1 delivery valve, put the delivery
>> valve back in and snug it down, hold the the pump linkage in the full
>> open position . If you have the drip tube install it on the delivery
>> valve, if not use the injector line in such a way that it is pointing
>> away from the engine.  It you don't mind the taste of diesel you can
>> blow through the fuel line or use low air pressure. Put the open end of
>> the injector line in a glass of water and watch the bubbles. Turn the
>> engine slowly until the bubbles stop and check the timing mark.
>> After tightening the pump recheck. This method is really more
>> precise than it needs to be and although it may sound complicated it is
>> very easy. Bob

The locking tool is a little easier once you've done it several times
and it works on ALL of my cars. But IF your pump doesn't have the
provision for using the locking tool the bubble method ALWAYS works -
with or without a hand pump or the provision to use the locking tool.

The wet methods all require that the injection pump be filled with fuel
and this can't be guaranteed without a hand pump. The bubble method
works perfectly without the hand pump but you do have to remove the
delivery valve and disturbing it CAN create a problem (the "O" ring or
the valve sealing may fail - and I've even seen a valve plunger snapped
in half). The locking tool method is very simple but required a couple
of tries before I was sure of what I was doing. For all of MY engines
(except my 2.5 normally aspirated), 24 (+/- 1) BTDC is correct.

Should you need to remove the injection pump to reset the timing more than 4-6 degrees, you will need to remove the oil filter housing ;-(

Marshall

'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm