Howdy, Peter!

If the adjustment knob (#1-7) has no effect, you found the problem.
Either the ELR is bad (not likely) or you have a bad connection
somewhere. I had a broken wire at the ELR on my car, a little
soldering fixed things up nicely. The FSM explains how to test the
ELR, basically you feed it +12V momentarily and the idle should
increase markedly when voltage is applied (a couple of seconds at
most!). If not, the ELR is bad, but I've not head of one failing yet.
Once you correct the wiring issue, set it at #4 or #5 and the idle
speed should pop back up to the preferred 630-650rpm. Oh yeah - when
unplugging the ELR, the idle should drop to the 'mechanical' minimum,
about 500-550rpm. The system expects electronic control to boost the
idle to normal (630rpm). Since the car runs great off idle your
injectors are probably NOT the issue.

If your motor mounts are not recent (over 5 years or 50kmi old),
measure them and replace as needed - details are here:

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/124_engine_mounts.pdf
(122kb PDF file)

Best regards,

Dave M.