Wait, dude, back up. What is this "clean it" stuff to which you refer?
.. I even pondered today whether or not the diaphragm could be
replaced with something, say a piece of inter tube clippings.

To be honest, after all of the "engine runaway" and "need to buy a new
long block" posts I am somewhat concerned about replacing this part
without having the fire department standing by 10 feet away.