andrew strasfogel wrote:
I can't seem to find the article on the procedure describing how
small-handed individuals could R/R a broken center dash vent servo in
a 123 300D, CD or TD without needing to completely take apart the
entire dash.  IIRC, this involves removing the glove box and being
prepared to have one or both hands scraped raw.

Just found this on the MBCA forum today (but dated 7/30/05) from Paul Persico:

>> vacuum actuators can be removed without removing the dash. <<

The center nozzle actuator can be accessed by removing the glove box, the right center nozzle and the rubber hood that supplies the center nozzles.

The defroster nozzle flap actuator is somewhat more difficult(and is most likely the problem). To do this the instrument panel and both the panels in the driver's side knee well must be removed. The blanket below the instrument panel needs to be moved aside.

The reason I say that the defroster nozzle flap actuator is most likely the problem is that that's where the cleaner used to clean the temp sensor seems to accumulate. It doesn't make any sense to me but that's what I was told AND what I've experienced first hand. It pools in there and the rubber deteriorates. This actuator has two positions. One section is provided with vacuum T'd off of the center nozzle flap actuator. You can check for leaks by MightyVacing the at the vacuum solenoids in the center console.:

Marshall
'87 300TD 181Kmi,'87 190D 2.5 199Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 227Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 159Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 234kmi
      Diesel Technical Advisor MBCA, member GWSection
    http://www.dhc.net/~pmhack/mercedes/mbooth1.htm