Any stick
shift diesel VW should beat them though, or a Geo Metro XFI, Honda CRX HF, Civic VX, etc)

My '92 Jetta D NA 5-speed regularly turned in 43+ mpg at 70. My 86 Golf, same engine, turned in 48 mpg at the same speed, as it had no power steering, a bit taller gearing, and a more aerodynamic body. I've heard of folks who regularly get in the mid fifties on the highway at 75 with TDIs. Nice cars, but light, noisy, and small compared to any mbz, and harder to work on, as clearances are tighter under the hood. My Westfailia TD conversion gets 25 @ 65-70.

--
Dan Weeks
82 VW Westfalia 1.6 TD conversion 175k