Rory wrote:

> I'll start my search for a 190D turbo model.

I should warn you. 190D turbo was made only in 1987, something like 1600
total vehicles. It's the most fun to drive of the old MBZ diesels, so
it tends to sell high when a nice one is available. There was one
on eBay last night for $2300, not perfect, but better than I'd expect
for that price:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4566885730

There was a POS offered near me a year or two ago, Ron Dwelle
looked at it, needed A/C repair, sunroof repair, and I forget
what else, plus it was generally kind of beat. He offered them
$3k for it (2k more than I would have paid) and they turned him down.