Depends on your camcorder. Newer digital models often have a 1394 (aka Firewire) output, which connects directly to a Firewire input on the PC. That's how my new Canon works. At least with the Canon, there's no way to feed video via USB.

Analog camcorders are a different story. You'll need some kind of a card that will accept either S-video (much preferred) and/or composite video (lower resolution) and convert it to digital. For my older Sony Hi-8 camcorder, I bought Pinnacle's Studio AV/DV -- it includes the card you install in a slot of your PC, and a blue dongle box that plugs into the card. The dongle has both kinds of analog inputs, as well as a 1394 Firewire input so you're ready to go with any type of camcorder. Also included in the box is a copy of Pinnacle Studio 9, which is one of several good editing packages.

Basically, you start Studio and enter 'capture' mode. Click start, and then hit Play on your camcorder. When you're done digitizing, you can do a ton of editing very easily - fades, dissolves, add DVD menus and chapters, add soundtracks, etc. Studio will then burn the results directly to a DVD (assuming you have a burner).

   Rob

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kaleb C. Striplin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
I have stuff recorded with a cam corder and am wanting to burn this
either to DVD or probably just VCD on my computer.  Is there software
that will do this, how do you hook the camera to the computer? Is there a way to do this via usb cable?