How is that going to work when we are in a peak oil chrisis?

andrew strasfogel wrote:

I received this from a friend in NY today (slightly edited to reduce the length)

WAR ON GAS/DIESEL PRICES

Do you have a spark of rebellion in you? Would you like to start a
modern day Boston Tea Party?

THEN JOIN the RESISTANCE!!!!

We are ALREADY close to $3.00 a gallon and it might go higher!!

Want gasoline or diesel prices to come down? We need to take some
intelligent, united action.

Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea:

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day"
campaign that was going around last April or May!

The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't
continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can
really work. Please read it and join with us!   By now you're probably
thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap. Now that the
oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that
the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50- $1.75, we need to take
aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the market
place.... not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each
day, we consumers need to take action. The only way we are going to
see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook
by not purchasing their gas! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting
ourselves.

HOW?

Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we
CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a
price war.

Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the TWO
BIGGEST COMPANIES (which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL. If they are
not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If
they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow
suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon
and Mobil gas buyers.  If each of us sends it to at least ten more (30
x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 do the same, it won't take long before
millions of drivers have been contacted!

Acting together we can make a difference.  If this makes sense to you,
please pass this message on.

PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND
KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK