Message: 3
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 8:14:44 -0400
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [MBZ] 1981 300SD harmonic balancer - or not?
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Dieselvolk,

Catching up on the digest - forgive if old news.

Bill, I think I need more information here.  When I read your post, I
understood it to mean that you've got a problem with the driveshaft and
maybe a problem with the transmission (I took the 'harmonic balancers' to
mean the rubber flex discs at each end of the driveshaft).  However,
Marshall and Mitch understood that to mean the harmonic balancer (singular)
on the front of the engine, attached to the end of the crankshaft.

So, which is it?

As to the transmission, as I understand it, unless it is slipping or not
going into gear, it may simply be an adjustment issue vice a rebuild.  If it
is time for a rebuild, call Rusty (1-800-741-5252) for a quote on an MB
remanufactured, which a couple years ago went for ~$2500 IIRC.  Shop around
for prices, as Rusty will (I believe) match or beat any advertised price.
Kaleb Stiplin (see bottom of this post) may be able to help with a used one.

HI - Thanks for the information.  AS you can tell I am not a mechanic and
the ones in my family are too far away to help.  I think it is the harmonic
balancer at the front, as that is the only thing I have heard about.  I sent
down the suggestions from Marshall and Mitch and am awaiting a response.
>From your comment it sounds like the transmission should be OK, but need
adjusting.  I have a new vacuum valve for it, not yet installed, and it
drives and pulls well - just the banging on downshifts at times, mostly when
it is cold.

I have been offered two or three salvage engines, one with 100,000 miles for
$500 plus $100 shipping [also one at $900 plus].   If the fixes are not
effective I will go that route.
Thanks - Bill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1981 300 SD  265K miles