Here is a blurb from one of my coworkers currently in New Orleans.

Our normal day starts around 04:30 and ends anywhere
from 01:30 to 03:30 (short nights).  And if you get in
line before the army arrives (and I literally mean the
real army - with their weapons) then you can get a
good breakfast (if you don't already have something
pressing to do).  Lunches are usually box style and
dinner tends to be good if you make the "line" in
time.

People here are very friendly.  The firefighters of
New Orleans are polite and pleasant even though many
of them have lost everything.  Fewer than half of
there stations are open and they also have far less
than half of their rigs in service.  Many firefighters
and police have simply quit; walking away from their
jobs or taking early retirement.  Initially, the
environment in the city was a bit apocolyptic.  Many
of the stories in the media are exaggerated.  However,
some areas are what we call "No-Go" areas because of
the armed looters.  All of our task forces are
accompanied by fully armed military personnel (around
10 or more) and state police officers when they go out
on search details.

Got to go now because its "lights out" and 02:17.

Ken