Hi all,

I just had a sickening experience... hearing unnatural noises when
trying to open my sunroof (down & back) from a popped-up state.
Something is broken but I can't tell what exactly. There's a bar that
goes across the width, on the rear of the opening... the left side
moves back, the right side stays put. Right now it's stuck/jammed in
the popped-up state, which I guess is better than wide open, but still
doesn't make the car useful in wet weather. Fiddling with it, I can
get the left side to lower partially but not the right. Anyone have
tips on how to get it closed without screwing things up worse? At the
moment I'd be content with getting it shut and then disconnecting the
motor.

I know the general wisdom is to NOT attempt a DIY repair, and take it
directly to a shop that knows how to fix this type of sunroof (very
different than the simple, old W123 style). I'm probably going to end
up doing that but not right away, if possible. I looked up the prices
for some of the parts, and if it needs a new frame (eek), cost of
everything will be $1000 *wholesale* - plus labor!!! (The old frame
was superceded to a new style, which requires a half-dozen extra
updated items, hence the higher cost.)

BTW - this is on my 87 300D. The updated sunroofs started, I think, in
late 1987 model year. Hmm... maybe I could rape the sunroof mechanism
from my parts car! Anyone attemped a DIY repair on these and lived to
tell the story?

:-(

--
Dave M.