andrew strasfogel wrote:

My son is leaving the D.C. area for Gonzalez, Louisiana on Saturday 9/10 to help in the effort to rescue and care for pets stranded by Katrina. This will include delivering a sizable cargo to be donated directly to the Louisiana Humane Society, as well as helping care for the animals delivered to the rescue station. I would like to donate a prepaid gas card to be used on his trip but 1) have never purchased one this before, and 2) want to assure that the card I choose to buy is usable in the states he is likely to be travelling through (MD, VA, NC, TN, MS, ALA, and of course LA). Any recommendations?

Is there any particular reason for a gas card versus cash or whatnot? That long of a distance is a lot of gas so prolly a significant amount of money for cash. Credit card should be just fine.... Make sure he is fully aware that there is a gas scare in the areas near the coast. I live in starkville,ms and over half of the gas stations don't have gas. A few stations in Meridian did when I was there last weekend.... didn't even try when I was further south than that. Also keep in mind that once that needle moves past half tank, and you aren't there yet.... if you don't turn around you are now stuck down there with everybody else. The trip shouldn't be that bad so long as he has gas.... did the same thing myself last weekend, but with gas and supplies for my family and my in-laws. Brought down about 70 gallons of gas so didn't have any problem coming back up :) A lot of places that were not hit by the storm surge are starting to recover so the links for credit card authorization are starting to come back up, but still need to have gas to pump out!

Hope the trip goes well for him!

John