Most any frequency on HF is world wide capable (depending on the mode you use), and most avionics are AM, which has an unlimited range.  If their radio was VHF/UHF, this would have been a different story-limited to 100-150 depending on altitude.

-----Original Message-----
From: LT Don <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sep 9, 2005 1:34 PM
To: Mercedes mailing list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Navy WTF?

USCG HH3F helicopters carried HF radios that aren't ever "out of range" of someone at a comms station. That isn't speculation, because I was one of the avionics techs that kept them working.

I assume that USN H3s are similarly equipped.

On 9/9/05, Steve MacSween <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> All these two young pilots would have had to do was call up their base ops on
> the radio and "request permission to divert" for a SAR effort.

Spoken like a lifer! Just ask yourself: what would Chuck Norris have done?

I believe the story said they were out of radio range from their base? Or
maybe that was their story and they were sticking to it like glue.

Sounds to me that the Navy, like everyone else, is having a bit of a
headache with Gen Y kiddies as employees: "No way, dude, your orders SUCK!"

Mac