Rick Knoble wrote:
> I had a '78 BMW 530i. Same thing, L-Jetronic w/points. It also had these
> stainless steel exhaust manifolds called "reactors". If I had it to do over
> again, I would fabricate intake manifolds and put on Webers. THAT car was a
> money pit...

After lots of problems with my '75 VW Bus, I eventually ripped out the
L-Jet and put on a Weber 32/36 progressive carb.  Fuel economy and
reliability improved, but there was an icing problem due to the long
intake runners that I never really solved.  Throttle response suffered
as well, because the carb was so far from the heads, but no one drives a
VW Bus for its throttle response.

The L-Jet was great when it worked -- in cold weather, especially, it
would start right up every time.  If you could get the engine to crank
over three times, it would always start, no matter how slowly it was
cranking.  But L-Jet had no limp-home modes, and combined with
25-year-old wiring and poorly-designed connectors, that made for really
poor reliability.