From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Donald Snook
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2005 6:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [MBZ] Speaking of lousy GM Cars and getting back on Diesels

I saw something amazing over the weekend. I found a 1983 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Diesel two door. It was in miraculous shape. It had 43,000 miles. It was white with a maroon interior. This big sucker had the converted 5.7 diesel engine. They were absolutely horrible cars. It was a gasoline engine block with all the diesel works mounted on. I had three different Olds 98’s, I really liked them. When I was a Service Manager at an Olds/Honda dealership, one of the Mechanics had one of these cars. He had 300-400,000 miles on it. He also had purchased 6-7 injector pumps from some connection that he had. The IP’s were scavenged from cars that had to be junked because pistons cracked or blocks cracked. He was a real whiz at replacing the injector pumps. He never had lower end engine problems. He replaced the intake gasket every year I think and added a quart of transmission to the tank every other fill up and only got diesel at the truck stop. Strange guy- strange car. Anyway, it was a real sight to see this historic car. I almost bought it, just to say I had one. Maybe I’ll find the ever illusive 1984 Cadillac Seville Diesel (I think Car and Driver or some car magazine named it the worst car of all time).
Donald H. Snook