If the Tachometer does not work either, replace the Overvoltage relay
(aka Overload Relay - $60). Actually - check the fuse in the relay
first. Might be an easy fix. It is located next to the brake booster
towards the center of the car next to the Klima. Red plastic with
clear flip top to get to the fuse. If that's it, you then have to
figure out why the fuse blew... Replace all the fuses while you are at
it if they are original.

My first 300SDL did that exact thing intermittently after multi-hour
road trips. I'd pull up to a toll booth and the car would die. Give it
gas and it worked fine. Let it sit for a bit, and it worked okay.
Resoldering the connections in the relay fixed the problem (thus far).

-Dave Walton