Christopher McCann wrote:
In my 76 240D, the speedometer reads 10% high,
regardless of the speed (according to my GPS). The
trip meter (didn't pay attention to the odometer) was
accurate to .1 miles over a 12.2 mile commute.

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

The speedometer needle is positioned to a point a centimeter or two counterclockwise from the lower post/stop when the speedometer is initially assembled and calibrated. The precise location is specific to that speedometer (it's usually about the distance that is roughly equal to 10 mph on the scale). Then the needle is pulled up and lifted over the post/stop and released. It settles back against the stop. I have watched VDO technicians do this - sometimes having to do it several times before the speedometer is within tolerance.

This setting of the speedometer needle has NOTHING to do with the accuracy of the odometer - which is absolutely fixed by the combined gear ratios of the speedometer mechanism, the transmission takeoff, the differential and the tire size. This is NOT adjustable (you would need to change gears to make any adjustment).

Marshall
--
Marshall Booth Ph.D.
Ass't Prof. (ret.)