George,
Try heavy acceleration while pumping the accelerator pedal.  If that gives the
response you're after, you may still be running lean, or with insufficient
accel pump volume.  You could catch the pump spray in a thimble, then pour it
into a graduated test tube, if you have nothing else to work with.  I've never
seen the white plastic "catch cup" outside the book.  If you rebuilt the accel
pumps (and if leather seals), they should last for a long time.  Did you put
the spring and ball check valve back into the circuit?  If you've got a good
stream of fuel squirting out of the outlet, is it aimed properly at the
throttle opening?  I'd bet your timing is still a few degrees too late.  That
will also cause the hesitation of which you speak.  Good luck.
Mike Boerner
87 300sdl 125k; 87 300d 130k; 01 320ml 38k