NPR had a story about this kid the other day, that was actually quite
unsympathetic, though the teller seemed to think the "torture" he had
undergone was really really bad (I think they deprived him of sleep,
talked to him harshly, and wouldn't let him go home to his mama).  His
Gitmo lawyer got a bit of the tape of his various interrogations, and
released a part.  There was an article in the paper the other day about
him too (WSJ?) that had more details on his story.

Seems his mama has been expounding on the virtues of jihad for some
time, blowing up people, killing them in the name of allah, all that.
Her quote was, "He can stay in Canada and become a drug addict or a
homosexual or he can go kill infidels" (or something quite close to
those words) -- that part stuck in my mind.  The family has quite a
history in Canada (which she apparently does not like, but stays there
for some reason not made clear), and most people are absolutely sick of
them so the teller said (and that is a pretty hard thing to get in
Canada). I forget what all the previous stuff was about, but it was
enough to cause quite a stir.   She sent him off to A-stan to kill
infidels and Americans as was his jihadi purpose, and he did that and
she was proud of him (no denial of guilt, she was very proud of him).
He got shot 3x in that incident, was nursed back to health and taken to
Gitmo.

The Canadians don't want the kid, he is a completely brainwashed
psycho/sociopathic killer at this point, probably beyond any redemption,
unfortunately.  I think she has some other sons too, no word on
daughters, all encouraged to do the same.  Didn't catch the deal with
daddy, he might already be in paradise.  You can probably find the story
somewhere, it was pretty interesting but sickening.  That is what we are
up against.

--R