From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Curt Raymond
Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2008 7:15 PM
To: Diesel List
Subject: [MBZ] Hammie update

Got the passenger's door all back together. Found that theres a hornet's
nest in the mirror. Carb cleaner kills 'em quick but the others come back. I
need to figure out how that mirror comes apart anyway, it doesn't stay put.
Tested the vacuum system, trunk actuator doesn't actually unlock the trunk.
I don't understand how its supposed to work. It leaks anyway, so does the
fuel door actuator. I think I'll just take them out of the loop, I don't
really care for either of them... I *think* the doors are okay, I'll need to
retest once I get some golf tees.

Antenna is in, I can't find switched power to it though. I've got always on
power but none of the other points come on with the key. No fuses are bad
and I replaced them all when I got the car. Oh well I used the always on
power to put the antenna up, thats really all I care about anyway, I
probably should have just bought a cheapie fixed antenna. If this one gets
broke thats what I'll do.

Took a look at the parking brake lever, it doesn't retract all the way. I
futzed with it and managed to get the cable off, BAD MISTAKE. That thing is
a grade A PITA to take out. The lower nut is behind a plastic shield in the
wheel well, the upper bolt is in the engine compartment but you really need
2 u-joints on a socket to get to it. I can only find one of mine. I got the
nut off but can't get it all the way back on...

I don't do cable actuated brakes (no lift) so I'll have my Indy do that.
We're getting rapidly to the point where I'll get him involved. Wednesday I
can work from home so I'll see about getting the replacement hood. I've also
got to fix one rust hole in the trunk. This one is the passenger's side.
Back in '03 I fixed exactly the same hole on the driver's side... Back then
I used fiberglass, now I can weld... Actually considering where it is I may
weld in a little bit on the part you can see and then fiberglass the hole, I
think it may be the easier repair, I'm not sure I want to weld inside the
trunk...

Once thats all set the Indy can do brakes (it'll probably need pads, maybe
rotors, its sat a long time) and motor mounts. The former is much easier
with a lift and impact gun, the later is just so nasty I don't want to get
into it...

A couple more weeks but the end is in sight.

-Curt