Thanks for the advice. It has 48 hp and a top speed of 60-65 mph. We live in
the city and literally, it is just for around town, EXCEPT for the yearly trip
to Wisconsin and she'll just have to take it easy...which she had to do with
the Dodge anyway to keep the mpg from totally going to pot. She squeezed 12.5
mpg out of the beast on that trip - 8 mpg around town. She didn't use the A/C
and didn't go over 65 mph. If gas were $1.25/gallon, it would be a sweet heavy
duty vehicle, but I can't afford to use it anymore, hence the Vanagon - also a
7 seater, not a camper.

Has 229K miles. Found a guy on ebay that has 150 vanagons and sells parts -
elves, I think he's called (End of Life VEhicleS). He seems reasonably priced.

Thanks again for the warning. Luckily Connie is not a speed demon. Only got 1
ticket in her life and that was in the 87 300TD. She said, "I had no idea I was
going that fast! It's not my fault that's how that car drives!" It was true, it
handled fabulously.

Rambling.

Chris

Allan Streib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: "Christopher McCann"  said:

> What type of Vanagon do you have? I just picked up an '82 diesel for my
> wife to putz around town in with the kids. More fuel efficient (by far)
> than the Dodge 15 passenger. Not in top shape ($500 + some parts and
> labor for the PO's 300Dt), but I really like it an look forward to
> getting into it and sorting out its "issues". Definitely a unique
> vehicle.

I have a '91 GL (7-passenger seating, not a camper).  Last model year
they sold in the USA.  2.1 liter "waterboxer" gasoline engine, 4 speed
manual transmission.  It's a high miler, but has a newer engine, no
rust, and a decent interior.

Take it easy on that diesel, it has NO power to spare in that van.  If
you drive it hard it won't treat you kindly.  A VW diesel is NOT as
robust as an MB.

Allan

Bünter u. Bügel Diesel Sales & Service
-1985 300SD, 236K mi, "Wulf"
-1982 Volkswagen Diesel Vanagon, 229K mi, "?"
-'75 240D, '80 300SD, '82 300Dt, '83 240D, '84 300Dt & '85 300Dt

***FOR SALE!!!*** 1992 Dodge 350 Ram Wagon (15 Passenger van), 1 Ton, 63K mi,
good condition - ***FOR SALE!!! - $3,500***