As far as I know the Porche 914 was a VW & Porche project that Porche finaly
got as own, but the engine was a VW T4 farly used in the VW buses and a few
other cars.
In the same subject VW and Porche share the same founder Ferdinad Porche and is
not a surprise that thisproduce very simylar products at the beginigs of the
time, but I said symylar no same or equal, in the parts shared for diferent car
companys my VW Westfalia Camper has a ATE calipers as same of my 1972 W108 as
well as the distributor from bosch (of course my VW use a 4 lube cam and my
w108 has a six lobe cam but is the same dizzy) I can use my mercedes wheels in
my VW as well the list coud be longer but some examples are enough to said that
a few years ago VW, Porche and Mercedes share some components en tecnology as
well but are diferents companys. As far as I know. like I said.

Roberto

http://myvehicles.freehomepage.com/index.html

1958 VW Karmann Ghia (project)
1965 VW Beetle