The '83 240D we call Hammie had a hole through the trunk floor on the
passenger's side. There had been a matching one on the left side years ago I'd
fiberglassed into shape. 5 years later and the fiberglass still looks good.
Now I can weld though, so I cut out all the bad metal which was a surprisingly
small amount, I couldn't get my hand through the hole. Then commenced to
welding.
I'll say that those who say welding is a matter of practice are right just
about every tack weld I make now is a good one. I do still blow through badly
if I try to run a bead so mostly I just make a series of tacks very close
together and then tack over the spaces. It doesn't even look too terrible now.

This was a much worse job than my 190D since part of the wheel arch had rotted
too so I had to create part of that lip. I did it by essentially making a box
that I then welded into place. Its not great but once I skim it with bondo
it'll blend in pretty well. I've got some special POR-15 bondo that should do
the job nicely. I was racing rain today so I got it welded up, slapped on some
paint so it wouldn't rust and left it.

While I was at it I took time to lubricate the throttle linkages under the
hood. I have no idea what Devin did to them but they looked as if somebody had
poured salt water over just that area... I took all the ball joints apart and
shot some SeaFoam Deep Creep into the sockets. That stuff is lousy penetrant
but seems to be a decent lubricating oil. I also lubed all the pivot points
which all in all seems to have fixed the issue.

So now with the exception of freeing up the parking brake the car is basically
roadworthy. It still looks like hell with the holey hood and many rust spots
but we're getting there....

-Curt