First, if the speedo doesn't register, most likely the cable is
broken, so no odometer or speed control -- both driven off the cable
in the speedo head.  It's possible the speedo head went bad, but very
unlikely, it's just a magnet and a disk and a bushing.  The odometer
may or may not work when you put a new cable in.

The AC blows out the center vents only part of the time, depending on
temperature.  You will need to check the vacuum servos to make sure,
but if the outside temp is close to the setting on the dial, you will
get no center vents.

Use the temperature wheel to set desired temp.  If you only get AC
with the temp wheel all the way cold, you have a climate control
problem, likely a bad interior temp sensor.

If your odometer is not accurate, you cannot easily determine you
milage unless you fill up, make a decent trip of known milage, then
fill up again  That's how I found out my "new" 87 300D was getting
better than 30 mpg -- a trip to Ft. Wayne of 300 miles, filled up as
I was leaving and again while I was there, used 9.6 gal of fuel.
The odometer will slip (and won't work if the cable is messed up)
before it goes completely dead.

Check tires, brakes for drag (especially parking brake), wheel
bearings, injection timing, transmission for slip (a milage killer
for sure) and front end alignment.  21 mpg on the highway, something
is wrong, should be at least 25.

Peter