I seem to recall that at some point that big pod under the fuselage was
the "weapons pod" which contained all the (vacuum tube) electronics that
needed to be kept cool and took up more space than the "coke bottle"
fuselage could hold, and maybe other stuff too like radar etc.   I think
with that thing on there, speed was very limited due to high fuel
consumption and shorter range at higher speeds.  Without the pod I think
it was very fast, but couldn't carry anything internally except fuel.
So basically it wasn't a very useful airplane though it could go really
fast when pushed.  Might have been one of those designs like the B-70
that was made and built to make the Rooshans crazy and have to build
lots of stuff to counter it.  (Note:  some Russian general or something
stated after the Cold War was over that the B-70 was the single most
important element of breaking the Soviet military budget and the US
winning to Cold War.  They had to design and build fast high-altitude
interceptors and missiles and that cost huge amounts of money.  I think
only 2 or 3 prototypes were built, one is at Wright Pat? and one at the
Smithsonian?  One might have crashed or broken up)

I might be wrong, my mind is a bit cobwebby on that.  I remember
building a model of the B-58 when I was young, and seeing one at Grissom
AFB during an air show day they had there.  I think I got to go up in it
too.

--R