If I remember correctly the Russians actually put them in scheduled
service inside the USSR for a while.  They were retired because they
burned too much fuel -- took a full 30 min of afterburner at full
reheat to get up to altitude and speed, and that shortened the range
too much (along with the usual Russian airplane maintenance, etc).

The TU is pretty snaz for 1968 -- variable pitch turbofan with duct
burning reheat, and I believe variable pitch compressor first stage,
too.

If  the Ruskies could every keep their aircraft stuck together and
used rational tactics, they'd beat the pants off of us.  Good thing
is that's not likely to change!  The Georgians shot down at least one
Backfire bomber and a couple top of the line fighters last week.

Peter