That is very helpful! I will try to get the Mercedes Manual.

Alex Chamberlain (to whom I'm very grateful) sent me the necessary
pages from the W124 manual. I found that all of my inputs to the
vacuum amplifier aka "blue flying saucer" were correct, but it still
maintained too much vacuum at the transmission modulator, so I
bypassed the amplifier, and connected the modulator directly to the IP
valve. It now shifts *almost* perfectly, and I can use it this way
until I can get my hands on another amplifier. Interestingly, mine
does produce the correct output when I simulate the correct input, but
it responds too slow, taking 5 or more seconds to reach the correct
modulator pressure, which is pretty useless when you consider that the
car reaches cruising speed at WOT in not much over 5 seconds.

Does anyone have a used vacuum amplifier aka "blue flying saucer" for
sale? It would need to be from a turbocharged car (I think) so that it
would properly respond to the boost signal from my 190D Turbo, but I'd
bet any unit from a 1986+ W124 or W126 turbo diesel would work.

Sincerely,
Tyler William H Backman
1987 190D Turbo Biodiesel

On Aug 17, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Robert Bigham wrote:

> Hello Tyler
>
> If you don't have it figured out by now, maybe this will help: MBZ
> published a separate
> manual on the automatic transmission, ora at least they did on the
> 123.  Transmission
> models are 722.2, 722.4, and like that.  There's a boss on the case
> with the model number
> stamped on it.
>
> Failing the Mercedes Manual, try Automatic Transmission Service
> Group (ATSG), who publish
> overhaul manuals which surely must contain the information you are
> seeking. Cost is
> reasonable, like maye $15 plus mailing cost.
>
> Good luck.
>
>>  6. W201 190D Transmission vacuum diagram/advice needed
>>     (Tyler Backman)
>
>> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 13:08:17 -0700
>> From: Tyler Backman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> WROTE
>> Subject: [MBZ] W201 190D Transmission vacuum diagram/advice needed
>> To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
>>
>> I have a 1987 190D Turbo, and the previous owners mechanic
>> brilliantly
>> "solved" a transmission control vacuum leak by hooking the
>> transmission modulator directly to the vacuum pump, so it flared/
>> slipped like crazy but didn't shift harshly. I'm trying to reconnect
>> everything properly, but can't seem to find a diagram that shows me
>> what each port is on the vacuum amplifier, injector pump leak valve,
>> etc. I have the Mercedes W201 manual CD, but it appears to make no
>> mention of the transmission or vacuum system at all (which I find
>> rather weird). Does anyone know where I could get this info? Even a
>> W124 manual would be helpful!
>>
>> By "guess and check" I was able to get it working somewhat, but
>> pressure at the transmission modulator still doesn't drop to 0psi at
>> WOT, and I'm a bit worried that I'm going to fry my transmission if I
>> drive it with too much vacuum at the modulator.
>>
>> I have to drive over 300 miles tomorrow, so I'm hoping to sort this
>> out tonight :(
>>
>> Tyler

Sincerely,
Tyler William H Backman
Senior Bioinformatics Analyst
Institute for Integrative Genome Biology (IIGB)
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
1007 Noel T. Keen Hall
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521