Meant to replace the B-52 as a long-range bomber, two XB-70’s were designed
and built in the late fifties and early sixties.  It is of comparable size
and range to the B-52 at ~490,000 lbs.  It has a large, fixed delta wing
plus a small canard on the forward fuselage.  It was to cruise at Mach 3 at
very high altitude and had 2 internal bomb bays that could carry a very
adequate bomb load.  Soviet development of improved RADAR and high altitude
defense systems (SA-2 antiaircraft missiles), though, forced USAF planners
to resort to low altitude tactics in order to penetrate Soviet air space to
probable targets.  Having to fly at low altitude reduced the B-70’s range to
less than that of the B-52.  Eisenhower cut the B-70 program to one aircraft
for supersonic research.  Kennedy restarted the program to build several
B-70’s early in his administration but then reversed himself and had only an
additional ONE built and continued the program for research only for several
more years.  The program was canceled, though, because of its vulnerability
at high altitude, its gross inefficiency at low level and the enormous cost
of construction and operation for a system to do a job that the B-52 could
already do much more efficiently.  One B-70 (# 2) crashed after being struck
in flight by an F-104 during a photo shoot.  B-70 # 1 is on the ramp at the
USAF Museum at Wright-Pat AFB.  Last time I was there, I stood under it and
looked up into a sizable internal bomb bay.

The B-52 was also built as a high altitude bomber, but it was versatile and
adaptable enough that we were able to switch to VERY low altitude tactics in
order to evade RADAR and penetrate enemy territory very effectively.  I
spent a large part of my 5000 hours in B-52’s training to a very high level
of proficiency to refuel in flight and to navigate and bomb at very low
altitude.  As a combat crewmember, I spent a third of my time on alert ready
to take off in less than 15 minutes and deliver nuclear weapons to the
Soviet Union.  To aid penetration, we also employed certain electronic
counter measures (ECM) and at least 3 different nuclear-warhead standoff
missiles.  I was highly trained in use of AGM-28 Hound Dog cruise missiles
in early to late 60’s and Short Range Attack Missiles (SRAM - rocket
powered) in early to late 70’s.   Air Launched Cruise Missiles (ALCM) have
been in service since the early 80’s ‘til recently.  During the early to mid
sixties, B-52’s, including me, routinely flew 24-hour airborne alert
missions from CONUS bases up over the North Pole, around Greenland and back
or across the north Atlantic, Spain and around the Mediterranean and back.
More recently, B-52’s have routinely flown missions of 36 to 40 hours’
duration from Louisiana to Iraq or Afghanistan and back.  B-2’s also do the
same thing routinely from Missouri.

After cancellation of the B-70 program, the Air Force still “needed” a
replacement for the B-52.  The B-1A, a completely different aircraft from
the B-70, emerged.  This aircraft was slightly smaller than the B-52, could
cruise at Mach 2 and had an internal bomb bay nearly as large as that in a
B-52.  It was significantly more stealthy than a B-52 and could also dash
supersonically through the more heavily defended areas to reduce exposure
time.  Its swing-wing design improves takeoff, landing and low speed, low
altitude performance and can swing back to form a delta wing for sustained
supersonic flight.  Nixon ordered a fleet of them, but Carter canceled the
order because of construction and operating costs and the continued ability
of the B-52.  Reagan resurrected it, and the B-1B emerged, smaller, lighter,
slower, cheaper and stealthier than the B-1A.  This aircraft is about
two-thirds the size of the B-52, is significantly stealthier and can cruise
at Mach 1.25.  Only 100 were built as a “stop-gap”/bridge to supplement the
B-52 and ICBM’s ‘til the B-2 could be designed, built and go in service.

In 1964, I was in a briefing with the commander of Strategic Air Command,
Gen Thomas Power.  During the briefing, he said, “If we don’t hurry and get
a long-range bomber designed, built and in service to replace the B-52, we
may have to use the G and H model B-52’s on into the 80’s.”  So here we are
in ’08; the B-70, B-58 and FB-111 have come and gone.  One hundred B-1B’s
were built and put in service, and a bunch of those have already been sent
to the bone yard.  Twenty-one B-2’s have also been built and put in service;
one crashed several months ago.  However, eighty-four H model B-52’s are
still in service, and we still don’t have a replacement for it.  Plans are
to use it for another 40 years.  There’s a saying amongst contemporary B-52
aircrewmen, “When the last B-1 and/or B-2 is delivered to the bone yard, a
B-52 will take the crew back home.”  Why get rid of a really good thing -
long-range bomber, MB, wife?

Wilton