Back in college I had internships for NASA Langley, one summer in the
Flight Research Division on a program that was developing auto-land
algorithms.  There was a 737 that was configured with a "glass" cockpit
in the passenger area and two research pilots, a real analog cockpit up
front with the real pilots who could override the back cockpit.  We had
the glass cockpit simulator in the lab and I would fly it occasionally
in the previous summer's internship in the Flight Simulation Division
(the first big-time video game driven by some CDC Cyber/Star computers,
you couldn't do any better than that, yowee!).  Langley is built on fill
land next to the bay, it is all swamp and tidal river around the place,
which is about 10 ft above sea level there.

Anyway, I was given this problem to figure out why the autoland
algorithms were pitching the plane down just before landing such that
the pilots had to take over and fly it manually to landing, and the
landings were really bad and hard.  I looked at the data, and see this
big blip on the radar altimeter (that was driving the altitude and
vertical speed inputs) just before touchdown, which caused the plane to
nose down a tad just before flaring as it thought it was too high.  I
talked to the front pilots, who of course could do no wrong, and they
told me it was all the flight control software's problems.  So trying to
figure out what that was, over lunch one day I take a walk out to the
end of the runway, and there was a big ditch there to divert water,
about 8 ft deep.  The blip just before the runway was 8 ft, quick,
causing the plane to think it was higher so it pitched down then pitched
up again quickly when the runway came along.

So I suggested a little  bit more slack in the altimeter vert speed
input (longer averaging of altitude and altitude change rate) and we
tried that in the sim and it worked OK.  Then we loaded that in the
plane, and it worked but the flyboys were so paranoid they wouldn't let
it do its job, and they kept taking over and landing hard, and of course
when I tried to suggest to them that they keep their hands on their
[laps --ed.] they went ballistic at this college boy telling them how to
fly an airplane.  (I had flown airplanes too, not that big, but I sorta
knew how they worked).  So somebody else with a bit more mojo talked to
them, got them to sit tight, and the autoland worked!  I felt pretty
good about that, and learned about flyboys.

Looking at the new planes today, they look pretty much like that 737 we
had there, and the autoland capabilities come directly from that work we
did.

Aside -- one of the flyboys, Lee something, who flew other stuff was a
total swaggering Right Stuff guy, flew the first rocket belt and some
other weird shit that they had developed there.  Anyway, one day I was
walking with him up the stairs in the hangar, and we were following this
sweet young thing who had on a real short tight skirt, and he says to
her, "Honey, it looks just like two puppies wrasslin under a blanket
inside that skirt of yours!"  I about had a puppy myself and the sweet
young thing turned around and flipped him the bird with a big smile, and
we all laughed like hell.  He winked at me and whispered that I ought to
work on that, but I think she was a bit much for me at the time.  Don't
think that kind of behavior would get too far these days, but it was
sorta expected of those guys.

--R