The timing belt broke on my brother's 2001 Sebring...  After many
attempts at starting (I was in Boston at the time), it was found the
timing belt was broken, and it was towed to the house.  I called to see
if a local auto repair place would fix it, and it turns out it is an
interference engine...  Had my brother crank it while I was there, and I
didn't hear anything while it was cranking; however, I *did* hear a
clattering as the engine went below ~250 RPM that I've never heard
before...

The engine is a DOHC I4.  It is Chrysler's 2.4L "Neon Engine"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Sebring_(sedan)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Neon_engine#2.4

I take it this means the valves are all torn up? What about pistons?
 From what I've gathered I need to remove the camshafts and do a
leakdown test.  If that doesn't turn out well (I'm sure it won't), is it
rebuild  or good used one time?  About how much effort is removing &
replacing the head?

The local shop wanted $1200 to rebuild the head... this seems kind of
low to me, but maybe I'm used to MB prices.  Since the car is only worth
$3k and Greg doesn't have tons of money laying around, I'm going to try
and do it myself even though I have no time... Greg can drive the 2.5T,
so we're not in that huge of a hurry.  Worst case, he goes to boot camp
3/1/09 or so, and he can't have a car for at least the first two months...

The funny thing is that I'm more concerned about replacing the belt than
R&Ring the head.  That belt is near impossible to get to!

Thanks!
John