He joined the Navy over the summer...  he's going to be an electronics
tech of some kind.  He's back taking classes this semester since he gets
an $8k signing bonus for having 14 more hours! I also think it starts
him out as an E3 instead of an E2.

Boot camp is just a little north of Chicago, and after that he has two
years of training (also north of Chicago).  So he's been suckered into a
6 year enlistment.  At least the time between his enrollment and going
off to boot camp counts towards his two years of required time in the
reserves.