One major difference in fuel economy between gasoline and Diesel
engines is the range of performance between stop and go and  long
distance highway driving.

In general, Gassers will do reasonably well on the highway, long
distance, although still less than Diesel in MPG.  Currently, in fuel
cost per mile, gasoline engines are often more economical than Diesel
in this  environment.

In town driving, stop and go, gassers perform way worse than Diesel.

The result is that gassers in normal driving often underperform the
(old) EPA ratings.  Diesels regularly outperform the (old) EPA ratings.
Normal driving is some town and some highway driving.

As always, YMWV (your mileage WILL vary)

This is why it is possible to record very high MPG with gassers on
long trips, as well as very low MPG with gassers driven around town.

At 03:25 PM 9/4/2008, you wrote:
>www.fueleconomy.gov says 16 city, 20 highway
>
>On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 3:14 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > ...Kaleb wrote: "in the 300E, it will get 28-29 on the highway with 87"
> > >
> > > That seems impossible.  I have never heard of a gasser 124 (especially
> > the
> > > earliest models) getting that sort of mileage.  I hear "25 mpg" and think
> > the
> > > person must be driving 55 mph.  How do you drive to get 28-29?..
> > >
> > He doesn't.
> >
> > My '89 190E.26 (M103) couldn't do that.
> > My '95 C280 (M104) couldn't do that.
> > My '01 C320 couldn't do that and it had   a drag number of .27.
> >
> > My '08 C300 CAN do that with it's 4-cam 3.0 V-6 with variable intake and
> > exhaust timing and the latest F.I. system plus it's 7-speed auto.
> >
> > RLE
> >

> > **************
> > It's only a deal if it's where you want to go. Find your travel
> > deal here.
> >
> > (http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)
> >

>--
>LT Don