It seems than at Thu, 4 Sep 2008 19:18:47 -0500, Wonko wrote:

> I have never owned a GPS. Want to fix that.
>
> I have two requirements.
>
> 1. Anal-retentive as I am, I would like to get a true mph
> reading so I know how far off my speedometers are. This is
> hopefully cheap.
>
> 2. I want turn-by-turn directions -- or at least a good map --
> to drive around in new surroundings. Would need to have maps
> available for "rural" areas such as Iowa, not just big cities.
>
> What should I get for requirement #1, and can I move up to
> requirement #2 for not that much more money?

Question three - standalone, or connected to a computer?

roadmap is a opensource app that is a dandy US street map - with
or without a GPS. It can work with any GPS unit that gpsd
supports. I know it's available for a lot more than GNU/Linux -
I just don't know for sure what 'cause I don't have any of the
other OSs. I know one guy was working on an iPhone port.

--             Philip