From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Gary Hurst
Sent: Friday, September 05, 2008 10:54 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] College Costs - Large schools vs. small schools

i never went to anything other than a big school, both public and private.
the main difference between the public and the private schools was mostly
the spread of talent.  at the public university, you ran the gamut from the
illiterate and retarded to super geniuses.  at private, the bottom end was
much higher and was much more affluent as well.  both had your noble
laureate types in the faculty and at neither did you ever actually encounter
them.  at both, you were known and knew people at your department, but
anywhere else you were just a social security number.

having never experienced it, i have a pretty idealized view of small college
life.  in reality though, i'd run out of new people to piss off mighty
quickly and it probably wouldn't work out.

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Bill R <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>     Nothing wrong with that, and a couple of years out it shouldn't make
> more than bragging rights or a better chance to get laid if you are still
> on
> the market.  I attended two years at Florida State University [then about
> 22,000 students] and enjoyed them. I used to lead out the right hand line
> for the pre-game shows and had a lot of fun in the band.  I did have a
> couple of classes of 1,200, but that is because courses such as Intro to
> Psychology were taught by the head of the psychology department rather
than
> a grad student.  After 40 or so it made little difference how many were in
> the class, but the quality of the professor could make a difference.  Too
> bad that guy wasn't a very good teacher for intro stuff.  I decided to try
> Lynchburg College because I'd never seen snow and was ready to be on my
own
> [one of those 19 year olds who still thought they could do anything].  I
> did
> find that there was a qualitative difference in the student body and the
> relations with the professors at LC, and campus life in that small school
> was much more interactive and with lots of very interesting students.  It
> had a VERY active student activities program with as much talent brought
in
> as at FSU, at less than one tenth the student body size.  I enjoyed both,
> but felt I got a better education at LC than at FSU, and had a lot better
> student life experience.  Could have been that I was paying for it myself,
> also that I was working on my majors and more interested and invested in
> the
> classes.
>        I can suggest one item to look at that mattered to me, though.
> Where I was the classes worked with source materials rather than books
> about
> source materials [especially in grad/post grad work].  Numerous times I
> would talk with colleagues about some field of study or school of thought
> and they would say, yes, we had a class that talked about that or read a
> book that discussed that.  For us it was going through the stuff written
by
> the author and facilitated by a professor who actually understood it.
When