It seems than at Fri, 5 Sep 2008 14:42:23 -0500, R wrote:

> I still think that frontal area is not nearly so important as
> other things. You said "for a particular drivetrain
> efficiency" and I agree with that.

Frontal area time Cd equals air resistance. So just looking at
Cd numbers is half the story.

Your pickup may have the same Cd as a big truck with a flatbed
trailer - the frontal area is _way_ different.

I think engine efficiency is a bigger deal than most figure on.
And it can very depending on engine speed - especially with a
turbo. There are plenty of stories of OM617 turbos that get
_better_ fuel efficiency at higher road speeds, probably because
the engine speed got to a sweet spot.

> I wonder about some of the numbers quoted below as well. I
> have a difficult time believing that the Tucker from the 40's
> is the equal of some of the current vehicles. It was without
> doubt efficient for its time, but it is still a lump compared
> to most of the new vehicles.

Aerodynamics is not a new science. The airplanes of the 1930's
are quite smooth. The modern advantage is we can model ideas
inside a computer with _way_ less effort than a physical model
and a wind tunnel.

--           Philip