Far as I understand ABS systems is that it deactivates at slow
speed/zero speed, otherwise the system would always try and let the
wheels turn.
Further ABS systems have a self diagnostic function that switches the
systems off if any variation is detected, or in other words it works
100% or not at all.
The only way I can think of, with my limited knowledge, for an ABS
system to produce rock hard brakes is that the system has opened the
brakes and is stuck there. I would expect that this would cause alarm
bells to go off in the diagnostic part.
I guess the way to determine if ABS is the problem is to deactivate it
and see if the problem persists but the wiser thing is to have the
system tested by a pro.

Hendrik
with ABS in the TE, my first ABS car