From: "Peter Frederick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Glad to hear you are doing well -- a broken hip is often the start of
> a steep downhill decline!

G: Could have been in my case.  The surgeon said if the break had been a
little deeper, he would have had to do an artificial hip joint, which
requires a lot longer recovery.  As it is, he fastened the two pieces of the
"ball" or head of the femur back together with plates and screws.  It's
working fine.

> I've often wondered how many broken hips were the result of a fall
> and how many happened first, causing the fall -- all you gotta do is
> what you did, or in bad cases of loss of bone density, turn wrong, or
> use your legs to get out of a chair instead of helping with your arms.

G:  Know what you mean.  My sister shattered her lower femur and knee joint
getting up from a low chair.  That "was" the beginning of her decline.

> Also a notice to those working (and living) alone where you are
> likely to not be missed for a while if something happens -- keep a
> cell phone with you all the time, or at least make sure there is a
> phone you can get to so that you don't spend a day on the floor,
> that's not good for the more mature of us!

G: Heh!  Heh!  Tell me about it!  I was doing some serious praying and
somebody must have been listening because my daughter came the next day
(Sunday); a day when she "never" comes by.  She said she still isn't sure
why she came by.  Also, I now have one of those emergency monitor gizmos
that you can wear on your wrist or pin on your shirt. Punch the button and
the company calls up to four of your relatives, neighbors, or friends; and
if no answer will call 911 for you. Cost $30/mo but I guess it's worth it.

> Best of luck, hope you get to finish that chain replacement soon!

G: In a moment of weakness I promised my son and daughter I wouldn't try to
finish it.  I might have to take the injector pump out (it's heavy) and it
will be a matter of months before I can get down under the car.  I promised
to let a local mechanic finish the job, which is what I'll do.

Thanks, Peter.

Gerry