I always  called the Quantum the poor man's Mercedes.  In interior
and drivability, fun and so forth, i imagined it to somewhat like
driving a euro trim 201 190d, perhaps the 190D 2.5 Turbo.  The ONLY
thing lacking was the quality of the outside door handles, but the
inside handles were never a problem.  I HAVE had problems with the
inside handles on MBs, but never outside door handles.  It is quite a
car, even now, and someone here should snap it up.  I think the
interior may be better than a 201.

All I ever had to do in taking the quantum from 100k to 200k was
change oil, change tires, a new battery or two, adjust the calves a
couple of times, wash and wax it once in a while and replace maybe 3
of the door handles (2 screws, no need to remove the door
panel)  When Don got it, it needed an axle, some fuel hose, and tires
and some TLC  The quantum i think was the most reliable car I have
ever had.  It was without a doubt the cheapest car to operate I have
ever had, but the 190Dc was next in line.  When we lived in HI, the
Quantum would sit for 1 or 2 years at a time, then we'd drive it for
a few weeks, and let it hibernate again.  After 2 years sitting,
guess what?  It cranked right up!  Every 80someting or newer MB won't
start after sitting  a month or 2.  Dead battery, or  you have to
disconnect the cables when you park it or keep the battery on a
trickle charge etc.  That gets annoying.

At 08:45 PM 9/24/2008, you wrote:
>My VW Quantum diesel has 213,360 on the clock and is running strong. Starts
>much quicker than my 240D in cold temps. I'd put it up against ANY Benz for
>fun and reliability. Loren babied it, the next owner trashed it, I've (after
>a rebuild) driven it, and soon the pending Okie owner will thrash it. This
>car will laugh at 500K on the odometer.
>
>Yea, the Benz has history and a giant cool factor. But the vintage VW diesel
>has a lot going for it. I'd LOVE to find a rust-free diesel Rabbit.
>
>On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 8:35 PM, Allan Streib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Rolf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> > > A VW is no MBZ and I will never own another water cooled VW in my life
> > > if I can help it.
> >
> > VW is no MBZ, I'll agree with that.  My '91 Jetta was one of the best
> > cars I ever owned.  Never had any trouble with the cooling system
> > outside of a few leaky flanges that are easy to replace.
> >
> > The "waterboxer" gas engines used in the vans are also troublesome,
> > though if well cared for they can give good service.  But a turbodiesel
> > conversion, if done well, should be pretty trouble free.
> >
> > Allan
> > --
> > 1983 300D (for sale)

>--