On Sep 24, 2008, at 9:51 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> But a turbodiesel
> conversion, if done well, should be pretty trouble free.

I had one for 5 years and 40k miles. Professionally converted, full
set of gauges, all euro VW vanagon parts and engine.

It was quite reliable, fun to drive, and got 27 mpg at 65 mph--more
on the backroads.

But the aluminum heads all eventually warp and crack, especially in
Vanagon applications where they're run so hard, and the rings fail
catastrophically after about 100k miles in the turbos, 150k or more
on the NAs, so in a vanagon, they're not the most long-lived engines.

I loved mine, but the engine blew 1600 miles from home, I got a good
price for it, and I'm trying again with my backup, an I-4 gas
conversion (Jetta engined) van that's otherwise identical. The I-4s
are reputed to last longer in vanagons, as they have 20 more hp than
the TDs and twice the power of the NA diesels, and thus aren't run
quite as hard. They don't have the broad torque band of the TDs, tho.

No matter what the engine, even the troublesome and comparatively
thirsty waterboxers, there's really nothing like a Westfalia. They
drive very nicely, go just about anywhere, are tremendously roomy,
and very versatile.

Dan
82 Westy TD (sold)
83 Westy I-4 gasser