It seems than at Wed, 1 Oct 2008 17:52:32 -0700, Jim wrote:

> > The purpose of the sed script is escaping me.
>
> I hate leading zeroes.  Sed is used to eliminate them.
>
> > Is there some magic I am missing out on?
>
> The shell-command emacs function uses a shell to process the
> string.  Sed itself wants parenthesis, so you have to escape
> them to get them through the shell since it's a shell-special
> character.  And you have to escape the backslashes too to get
> them through emacs to the shell.  (Or through make or any
> other environment except an interactive shell.)  Just all part
> of the usual scripting fun.

Got it! Sed needs the backstroke before the paren, but bash
would mangle it, so for sed-inside-a-bash-call the escape needs
to be escaped! Most of my hacks are not that deep. So far most
of mine are "plain and simple" bourne shell scripts.

> > And why not use ISO-8601 date format?
>
> Don't like it, that's all.

Hmm. To me it's like SI. Not what I grew up with, but it is so
sensible and practical the I've decided it's worth the effort to
retrain. But then I type in dvorak....

--           Philip