The purpose of the sed script is escaping me.

I hate leading zeroes.  Sed is used to eliminate them.

Is there some magic I am missing out on?

The shell-command emacs function uses a shell to process the
string.  Sed itself wants parenthesis, so you have to escape
them to get them through the shell since it's a shell-special
character.  And you have to escape the backslashes too to get
them through emacs to the shell.  (Or through make or any
other environment except an interactive shell.)  Just all part
of the usual scripting fun.

And why not use ISO-8601 date format?

Don't like it, that's all.

I've never understood why any extra characters (parenthesis, etc.) should be necessary to define code structure when good programming style requires that the structure also be reflected in the use of whitespace.

Because then the parsing is completely unambiguous, even
if the program is printed/presented in an odd medium.  Given
the differences in indention style various C people prefer
I can see this.  There are also times when an unconventional
indention of a program enhances its readability, and in
Python (for example) this wouldn't work.

There are also auxiliary tools, such as brace-matchers, for
editors like emacs, used to traverse over blocks of code.
I bet their job would be harder to get right in an indention
only world.

In really deep functions the required indention can get
out of hand.  As things are you can always un-indent a
chunk back to reasonableness, resetting the baseline
so to speak.  An extra set of braces can make this more
obvious, too.

if
  I'm
    getting
       really
         deep
{
  then
    can
      work
      out
  here
}
         until
    don't
 want
anymore.

Also, with the defined semantics of the C preprocessor the
result of #define expansion could well screw up the resultant
indention.  Take a look at a C compiler's -E output sometime...

-- Jim