after the war, they were still vilified equally with the ss who ran the
camps, but i always found this to be incorrect, sort of the equivalent
singling out marines or rangers for special treatment.  then again, such
subtleties were not really on anyone's minds as the winners were pissed off
and anyone wearing SS insignia was in serious trouble.

The SS stigma lasts to this day.  I knew an old german guy, gunther, who
spent many years as a young lad fighting in russia for his country.  being
the asshole i am and just loving to pick on germans, i would always tell him
he was amongst friends and can admit he was not just wermacht and was, in
fact, waffen SS.  i most enjoy his shrill and hysterical denials for having
to do with anything ss.