switch on the steering column would not engage the cruise but would
accelerate the car when pressed upwards.

It's the amplifier.  Specifically, bad solder joints within same.
Sure, it _could_ be something else, but of the dozen or so I've
repaired only _one_ had anything else wrong with it (and I believe
bad joints caused its H-bridge driver to smoke a transistor).  The
other eleven (or whatever) all did what you describe.

Yours varies because going-bad solder joints are very
temperature sensitive.  Eventually they get worse, and
then are bad all the time.

Oh, I did have one obviously-flakey column switch, a gentle tap
or a hard bump would cancel cruise.  And my toddler tried to do
a chin-up on one and broke it off, but neither of these were
mysteries.

-- Jim