I suppose anything is possible, although its about 99% certain its the amp.

andrew strasfogel wrote:
Could the wiring be flaky?

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Kaleb C. Striplin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

your amp is flaky, does not have anything to do with washing the engine

andrew strasfogel wrote:

 Here I goeagain.

My W123 1983 300td cruise control worked fine on our trip to Montpelier,
but
after we got back it started acting sporadically.  For example, the CC
switch on the steering column would not engage the cruise but would
accelerate the car when pressed upwards.  When I released it, the speed
would drop back and not engage.  I purchased a supposedly good used (not
rebuilt) CC amplifier on ebay with a DOA warranty, but after installing it
on Saturday and doing a road test I had ZERO CC effect - not even
accelerating through use of the switch.  I concluded that the unit was
even
more faulty than the one it replaced, but to make sure, I swapped out the
CC
servo under the hood for another one off the shelf (supposedly good). The
road test yielded identical results.

Here's the weird part.  I spent a couple hours Sunday spraying oily areas
on
and under the hood with Simple Green, then scrubbing and spraying with a
hose to remove a lot of residual oil from when the PO lost all engine oil
through ruptured oil cooler lines.  As the paint started to show through
all
the grime, I also scrubbed the CC servo with Simple Green.  Basically, the
entire engine compartment got wet, although I didn't do a complete and
systematic engine wash.  When I drove the car out of the garage, through
the
alley, and back to its parking palce in front of our house, I tested the
CC.  Guess what?  It now works!  WTF cubed.  How did water have any effect
on the workings of the system?

Kaleb C. Striplin/Claremore, OK
 92 300SD, 92 300E 4Matic, 91 300D, 91 300E, 89 560SEL,
 87 300SDL x2, 86 300E, 85 380SE 5.0 Euro, 85 190D,
 84 190D, 84 300D euro manny, 81 240D, 80 240D, 76 240D,
 76 300D, 72 250C, 69 250, 66 220SEb